Rice and Chicken
- 1 cup rice
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen broccoli
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Heat an oven-safe pot over medium-high heat; stir rice and 2 tablespoons oil together in the hot saucepan to coat the rice with oil. Pour hot water over the rice; bring to a boil and place a cover on the pot.
Place broccoli into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and season broccoli with salt and pepper.
Heat remaining oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken to hot oil, season with garlic powder and onion powder. Saute chicken until completely browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir onion into the chicken; continue cooking until onions are soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
Spoon rice into the skillet; cook until lightly browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Stir broccoli into the rice mixture; sprinkle lemon zest and lemon juice over the mixture and stir. Top with Parmesan cheese.
Bake rice in preheated oven until the water is absorbed and rice is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.