Finalists named for 70th Princess Kay of the Milky Way
Dairy princesses from across the state gathered for the Dairy Promotion and
Leadership Event held May 12-13 at the Delta Hotel in Minneapolis. The weekend included opportunities
for networking, leadership workshops, and a chance to compete for a finalist spot for Princess Kay of the
Milky Way. The event was themed “Building on the Best,” as contestants aimed to develop leadership
skills and competencies for young women in dairy through different inspiring and educational sessions.
“Each year this event brings new and familiar faces; it’s exciting to see all these young women who are
committed to being a dairy advocate in their own communities,” stated Kate McAndrews, Princess
Committee Chair and dairy farmer.
To compete to be a finalist for Princes Kay of the Milky Way, each princess submitted an application,
participated in a personal interview, prepared and delivered a speech and participated in a mock media
interview. Princess Kay candidates are judged on their general knowledge of the dairy industry,
communication skills, and enthusiasm for promoting dairy.
Of the participants, ten finalists were named and will go on to compete for the title of Minnesota’s 70th
Princess Kay of the Milky Way in late August of 2023.
This year’s finalists include:
• Makenzie Alberts; Pine Island; daughter of Eric and Angie Alberts; and representing Dodge
• Gracie Ash; Milaca; daughter of Mike and Shelly Ash; and representing Mille Lacs County;
• Jalyssa Beaudry; Otsego; daughter of Brian and Theresa Beaudry; and representing Wright
• Katherine Hills; Monticello; daughter of Nicole Hills; and representing Wright County;
• Montana Krueger; Arlington; daughter of Scott and Stephanie Krueger; representing Sibley
• Emma Kuball; Waterville; daughter of Nate and Shannon Kuball; representing Rice County;
• Megan Ratka; Cold Spring; daughter of Kevin and Kathy Ratka; representing Stearns County;
• Anne Simpson; Pine Island; daughter of Jeff and Cheryl Simpson; representing Olmsted County;
• Josephine Sutherland; Flandreau, SD; daughter of David and Dawn Sutherland; representing
• Riley Ward; St. Charles; daughter of Randy & Minnie Ward; representing Winona County.