Quick Tomato Sauce Receipe
August 11, 2020 7:40PM CDT
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground beef, onion and celery, and cook until beef has browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic, oregano and basil until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste.
- Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in tomatoes and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until flavors have blended, about 10-15 minutes.*
- Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan and butter until melted, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with desired pasta.
*TO FREEZE: Let cool completely; portion into plastic freezer bags in individual servings, squeezing out any excess air before sealing. Lay the bags flat in a single layer in the freezer (this will help them freeze quickly). To reheat, thaw overnight in the fridge, reheating over low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.